Thursday, September 20, 2012

A quick fix for problems with Windows Update

Quick housekeeping note: Hey, you've found the new Hassle-Free PC! Well done. Actually, what you've found is the new address for Hassle-Free PC, meaning it's time to update your bookmark.

Here's the Web address for the blog, which I hope you'll continue to visit daily: http://www.pcworld.com/column/hassle-free-pc.

Now, then, on to business...


For the past couple weeks I've noticed that whenever I shut down my PC, Windows installs updates. Or at least appears to install them.

Typically this happens only once in a while, not every time. So I checked Windows Update to see which updates were in the queue. Then I shut down, rebooted, and checked it again: sure enough, those same two updates were still there -- they hadn't been installed at all. Or perhaps they had, but something inside Windows wasn't recognizing that fact.

Unfortunately, these kinds of problems aren't uncommon. And they aren't limited to Windows repeatedly offering the same update; I've also had letters from readers who get error messages after Windows tries to update itself.

More